If you are using phpmail or sendmail function in your website, you may notice that, some of the email may end up in SPAM folder of the intended recipients. The situation become worsen if the intended recipients are using hotmail/livemail/outlook, which has stricter filtering. The recipient may not receive the email at all. Not even in Junk folder.
This is a big issue if you are running an e-commerce and even bigger issue for newsletter/mailing list website like Interspire Email Marketer.
To solve this issue, we can use transactional email or bulk email service such as Mandrill with Exim on cPanel/WHM server.
To integrate Mandrill with Exim on cPanel/WHM, we have to add proper settings as below.
1. Login to WHM with a root access & browse to
WHM → Service Configuration → Exim Configuration Manager → Basic Editor
2. In “Mail → Smarthost support”, add the following
3. Browse to
WHM → Service Configuration → Exim Configuration Manager → Advanced Editor
4. Search for – “Section: AUTH” & add the following code. Change [email protected] : api-key with your email & Mandrill API Key
auth_login: driver = plaintext public_name = LOGIN hide client_send = : yourema[email protected] : api-key
5. Search for – “Section: PREROUTERS” & add the following code.
smart_route: driver = manualroute domains = ! +local_domains ignore_target_hosts = 127.0.0.0/8 transport = auth_relay route_list = * smtp.mandrillapp.com no_more
6. Search for – “Section: TRANSPORTSTART” & add the following code.
auth_relay: driver = smtp port = 587 hosts_require_auth = $host_address hosts_require_tls = $host_address
7. Save the new configuration.
8. Send a test email & you should see the email header should have something with *mandrill.com