Now Google allows Google Apps users to change their Primary Domain as announced by Google Apps blog on 5th October 2015. However, the change can only be done through Google Apps Customer API interface instead on GUI in the Admin Panel.
Bear in mind that, you can only change Primary Domain from Secondary Domain. Domain Alias is not allowed. So, FREE Standard Version (called Legacy or Grandfather version) is out of luck, unless they already add the Secondary Domain in their account prior to 14th November 2014. This date is the day when Google disabled the function to add Secondary Domain in FREE Standard Version. Now, FREE Standard Version users may only add Domain Alias.
Back to Change of Primary Domain in Google Apps, actually the process is rather easy. You may refer to step by step instruction below.
- Login to your Google Apps Control Panel.
- Browse to Google Apps API Page where you change customer information. Make sure you see your Admin email address in to right corner.
- Click “Try it now” link.
- In “customerKey” field enter “my_customer“.
- In “fields” field enter “customerDomain“.
- Click “Request body” field, a drop down box will appear & select “customerDomain“.
- In the newly appear field, enter your Secondary Domain which you want to change to Primary Domain.
- Finally click the blue “AUTHORIZE AND EXECUTE” button.
- When the process is done, your secondary domain is converted to Primary Domain and vise versa.
Note :- If you are looking for FREE Standard Version Google Apps for your domain, head over to buygapps.com. They provide services to convert your domain to Primary Domain of FREE Standard Version Google Apps with full Administration control.