WHM/cPanel, since version 11.42 allow user to do backup to Amazon S3. This is a great choice to do backup by utilizing reliable service like Amazon S3. Furthermore, new S3 user will get FREE 5GB backup storage for a year making this option even valuable. After FREE time is over, the cost is rather small only 3 cents per GB of storage
Below is the steps on how to backup cPanel/WHM in Amazon S3
Amazon S3 Configuration
- Login to your Amazon S3 account or create for a new account if you don’t have one.
- Browse to Dashboard → Services → S3
- Create a Bucket (Make sure there is no “.” dot in the Bucket name. If you have, you unable to connect to amazon servers due SSL issue and will give timeout error.
- Browse to Username → Security Credentials → Access Keys (Access Key ID and Secret Access Key)
- Click “Create New Access Key” button.
- Download the “Access Key” & keep it secure.
- Login to cPanel/WHM
- Browse to Backup → Backup Configuration
- Edit Global Settings, Scheduling and Retention, Files, Databases & Configure Backup Directory as per your preference.
- In Additional Destinations, Select “Amazon S3™” & Click “Create new destination” button.
- Add “Destination Name” and optional “Folder” information in the space.
- Key-in “Bucket” name as (3) in Amazon S3 Configuration above.
- Key-ion “Access Key ID” & “Secret Access Key” as per (6) in Amazon S3 Configuration above.
- Click “Save and Validate Destination” Button.
Does the Cpanel/WHM also work with single cpanel account on a shared hosting and if yes what are the procedures ? Because am on a shared hosting using cpanel but would like to backup my website to amazon s3.
I will be happy to hear from you soon
Unfortunately, this is only applicable if you are the server admin.